As the global leader in smart, healthy and sustainable buildings, we reimagine the performance of buildings and provide innovative products and services that make spaces healthier for those that occupy them and for the environment that surrounds them. The nature of our business puts us in a unique position. We are incredibly proud of our 100,000 employees around the world, the milestones we achieved as a team and the path we laid out for bold climate and social action to help push the envelope forward in demonstrating how we can contribute to a better planet.
How sustainability has always been at the heart of our business
Sustainability is fundamental to everything we do as a company. Our OpenBlue connected technologies and digital capabilities help our own business and our customers to optimize asset performance, enhance occupant experiences and meet energy efficiency and environmental goals to deliver on a vision of healthy buildings, healthy people and a healthy planet. Nearly half of Johnson Controls’ revenue already comes from products and services that cut energy use and improve sustainability for our customers. We have reduced emissions intensity more than 70 percent since 2002, and the company has also helped its customers save more than 30.6 million metric tons of CO2 globally and $6.6 billion through guaranteed operational savings.
Materializing our engagement
To further reflect this mindset, in January 2021, we announced ambitious new sustainability commitments that outline our priority to make positive changes in reducing our company’s environmental footprint:
- We committed to achieving net zero carbon emissions before 2040 and announced science-based targets for 2030 (which align with the Paris Agreement’s most ambitious goal of limiting the temperature increase to 1.5 degrees Celsius);
- We set a goal to double our customers’ emission reductions through implementation of our OpenBlue digitally-enabled solutions; and
- We elevated sustainability as a key performance metric for preferred suppliers while also launching a supplier cohort training initiative to cut supplier emissions.
Last year, we launched our OpenBlue digital platform for optimizing building sustainability that will be central to fulfilling these goals. Within our company, we also expanded the sustainability oversight:
- In the fiscal year 2020, we named our company’s first Chief Sustainability Officer;
- We created a new executive-level Sustainability Leadership Committee for the company;
- For the fiscal year 2021, sustainability and diversity performance goals have been set as requirements for the top leaders of our company as well as our executive team;
- Compensation of our leaders is linked to us achieving our goals; and
- Our CEO Sustainability Scorecard includes greenhouse gas emissions reduction targets.
Our collective efforts
We know that driving sustainability is a collective effort and therefore we joined an international group of leading businesses as part of The Climate Pledge, a commitment co-founded by Amazon and Global Optimism.
A journey far from over
We believe our leadership in sustainability ultimately creates long-term benefits for our customers, employees, shareholders and society. We have significant work ahead. But this is not new for us – sustainability is where we came from. Johnson Controls has been delivering sustainable solutions to our customers for more than 135 years. The company is ranked in the top 12 percent of climate leadership companies globally by CDP and was recently named again to the World’s Most Ethical Companies® Honoree List and one of Corporate Knights’ global 100 most Sustainable Companies. The next decade is crucial in our shift to a sustainable economy, and with our team we are firmly committed to continuing to build a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable.
About the author
Akaash Roktoe is Director Strategy, Business Development and Marketing at Johnson Controls for the Benelux & Nordics region. He is based in The Netherlands and has vast experience in the field of building solutions including HVAC, Energy, Safety and Security for various vertical markets.