With only five days to go until the federal and regional elections in Belgium, we present a comparison* of the main proposals from 11 political parties, focusing on the issues of most concern to the international business community, as laid out in our 2019 Priorities for a Prosperous Belgium (#PPB19): Labor Market, Country Governance, Infrastructure, Corporate Taxation and Healthcare. What are their ideas to make Belgium more competitive now and in the long term?
PARTY ELECTION MANIFESTOS
- Introduce a ceiling for employer social security contributions.
- Improve the flexibility of work organization and remuneration.
- Simplify talent acquisition.
- Adjust automatic wage indexation.
- Manage government spending more efficiently.
- Cut administrative burdens.
Mobility and Infrastructure
- Invest in mobility.
- Invest in digital infrastructure.
- Create a best-in-class tax environment and reduce the cost of labor.
- Provide a simple and stable fiscal framework, using digital technology and standardization.
- Enhance collaboration with tax authorities, promoting mutual respect.
- Work towards an ambitious government program to anticipate future healthcare needs.
- Foster a true innovative healthcare valley.
- Establish “value based” healthcare.
- Invest in lifelong health: from prevention and lifestyle to cure and care.
We wish all parties good luck in the upcoming elections and we look forward to working together with the next governments at all levels to improve Belgium’s competitiveness and to get more companies to say #Yes2Belgium!
* Please note that the cross-party comparison only contains extracts of the party programs which are relevant to AmCham Belgium. Full party programs can be found on the respective websites of the political parties.
About the author
Always willing to network, David designs the Chamber’s outreach strategy, building bridges between AmCham Belgium and political stakeholders.